Desk Styling




Is it a vanity table? Is it a desk? No, a vanity table. Maybe a desk? This is the decision I have been back and forth with for years since receiving this table as a Christmas gift a while back.
Over the years, it has served as both. When John and I moved into our new apartment, I knew it was time to make a decision once and for all so the true beauty of this table can shine. It couldn't reach it's full potential until I made it a true home. Desk wins!

I love makeup! I adore it! I stock pile it! But.....I don't wear it so often. Most days I go fresh faced unless I'm meeting with my friends or going out with my husband. My day to day life (thank goodness because ain't nobody got time fo' that!) doesn't require much makeup so the need for my computer and blogging (*wink*) trumps the vanity. Not to be outdone, my makeup will soon have a home of it's own. But that's another blog in itself!

Once that decision was made, I went on a Pinning fit! I found lots of gorgeous images of things that inspired me. I did some internet digging for cute lil' things, pretty things, functional things, and this is the end result.























Now, I'm no professional. I'm just a chick who styled my desk. I'd like to share some tips to help you style your desk if you so desired. As always, take what you think works for you and leave the rest. It's ok. I won't be offended. =)


1. Pick a theme or a color scheme.
This room that my desk sits in, is not an office, it's more like my walk in closet with a desk? 
I'm still working on the room as a whole but the theme is fashion and the color is pink.
Big shocker, I know. Since this is technically my closet, I wanted to stick to fashion. I framed my bridal shower invitation (I had two different invitations because I couldn't decide which I liked more but I digress.) which had a dress form on it and was beautifully designed. While I love blush and gray as a color combo, I never get to express my love for gold which I think also works well with many colors so I opted for shiny gold on the desk. Once you have a general idea of what you're working with, then fun part begins: SHOPPING!

2. Functional and Fabulous!
I'm gonna do some back talk here so stick with me. Don't buy or pile on things you think you need because it's what traditionally goes on a desk. If it doesn't suit your needs or the type of work you'll be doing, don't buy it. Case in point? I have no stapler on my desk. I don't staple anything at home. I do lots of stapling at work, but at home, there's no need. I was feeling the pressure to buy a stapler to go with my accessories and I thought...no. I don't need it. I refuse to waste the money because society says I need a stapler! You're not the boss of me!
Also, it's easy to get caught up in buying pretty items that look good but have no use. Here's where my hypocrisy comes into play. Half of me says don't waste your money if it doesn't serve a purpose and the other half of me says why does it have to have a purpose? If it's pretty and makes you happy when you look at it, isn't that good enough? Do what you will people. I support both causes. Be functional and be fabulous!

3. Only Important people have desks?
Excuse my French..... that's bullshit! You might be saying to yourself....this is so pretty, but I don't do work at home. I don't run a company. I am not Donald Trump. 
To which I say.....Do you surf the internet? Would you like to keep all of your pens in one place? Do you often jot notes to yourself? Do you blog? Do you pay your bills online? Do you need a neat place to write your grocery lists? If you wanted to have a desk, why shouldn't you? You don't have to be the CEO of huge company to deserve a nice little nook to do whatever it is that you do.

4. There are no rules to desk styling (or anything for that matter!)
I could sit here and yammer on about what to do and what not to do.
Who wants to get drowned out by all these words?! The bottom line? 
Neat. Pretty.Functional. Fabulous. Personal to you.
I'll post a bunch of pics below and if you are inspired by something, you'll pick up on it
and do it your way. If you're not, you wont. And that's ok!
If I forgot to post where I got something, just ask and I'll get right back to you.

Enjoy!



















































































































































































































The Goods

Parsons Table By West Elm

Chair by West Elm (discontinued)
I think next week I'm going to add one of those cute shag throws to the chair!

Hustlin' Mouse Pad  By Mulberry Press
(She makes great stuff - def check out her entire line.)
Disclaimer: You don't have to be hustlin' cocaine in the streets a la Rick Ross (one of my favs!) to understand the art of the hustle! If you are working your way towards a specific goal or simply surviving everyday life, you are hustlin', my friend!

Acrylic Desk AccessoriesYou can grab lucite or acrylic accessories everywhere these days. I got mine from the container store. My god, I live and die for that place. Acrylic is my middle name! 
A few more great options: 
Amazon
Russell and Hazel
See Jane Work


Pink and Gold Pencils


(The little white tray and lip glosses are old. But if you are interested in the colors, comment and I shall answer!)
Gold Paper Clips & Binder Clips
Also, Staples has a nice selection of colored little accessories.

Gold Scissors

Black and white striped mug from Crate & Barrel (3 years old)
Although, this mug seems to be all the rage on the net. A very pretty option if you would like something black and white or with a nice initial on it. 

Gold and white Cabana Striped Notebook by B is for Bonnie Designs
Also a fabulous company with great little girly trinkets and prints.
Other fun notebooks:
Kate Spade Paper
Sugar Paper


Pretty Desk Top Wallpapers


I'm sure many of these items will be interchangeable for me as I am a restless person
and have an affinity for variety. In the summer you can add fresh flowers (or simply a flower),
you can get more creative with holiday items when the seasons change.
Add pictures of your family, friends or pets, you can add an inspiration board or a desk calendar, etc. The possibilities are all endless and truly up to you.

For a ridiculous amount of pretty, check out my Chic Office Pinterest Board.

Thanks for checking out my desk....if you style your desk or work space, 
I would LOVE to see it and I'll feature you on the blog.
Email me! blushandgrayblog@gmail.com 

I mean, if we have to work, shouldn't do we it fabulously?? :)










Leave a Comment

Post a Comment