Winter Dinner




Happy Friday Y'all! I don't know about anyone else, but I've had it with this cold. I have a case of the winter blues....and apparently so does my appetite. Wednesday morning, I had a package of ground chicken on my counter thawing. I figured....chicken tacos. By Wednesday night, I was ravenous, freezing and exhausted. The thought of cold, poopy lettuce and soggy tomatoes on a hard shell sprinkled with pathetic chunks of lukewarm meat made my heart and my tummy sad.

 I did what any modern girl strapped with internet access did - PINTEREST! I found a few chicken meatball recipes that inspired me to chuck the tacos back to Mexico and make something warm and more substantial that could hold up to this cold weather while still being  figure-friendly-ish. Yes, friendly-ish. It was either that or Friendly's! And we all know how that goes.....



V.V.'s Fusilli pasta with chicken meatballs 




Now, before you read the recipe below.....here's a disclaimer: 
This ain't Top Chef, this ain't The Food Network....this is Real Housewives of Queens baybeh!
I don't always have exact measurements and a perfectly calculated way of cooking. I do it like my mama did it. You get in the kitchen, master the "eyeball everything" method, taste as you go and let it take a natural course.


The Meatballs
1 package of ground chicken (About 1 lb)
Season the meat with salt, pepper & a sprinkle of Adobo
Approximately 1 cup and a half of seasoned bread crumbs - eyeball it!
1 small yellow onion  - diced
1 egg
Handful of Parmesan cheese
Sprinkle of Parsley- if you have none on hand, it's OK because the breadcrumbs are seasoned.
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Mix it all together with your hands (here's where you wanna take off any jewelry if you're wearing any - I'll be damned if chicken guts are gonna cloud my diamond!)  in a bowl until all your ingredients are fully incorporated.

* Neat little trick my mom taught me - have a small bowl of water next to you when forming your meatballs. Every now and again, wet the palms of your hands with a splash of water; it helps the meat not stick to your hands and you get a nice round ball every time. 
That Rose.....she's the best.

Grab a baking sheet, spray with non-stick spray. I like to use the olive oil flavored Pam.
Take a cookie dough scooper and scoop into medium size little balls. Brush the tops of the meatballs with a drop of olive oil and tomato sauce (I use jar sauce - making my own sauce from scratch is on the bucket list - maybe this Summer?) for a bit of color. Pop them in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so.

The Pasta
Boil the fusilli pasta (or any pasta of your choice).
I put salt in for a bit of taste and a drop of olive oil in the water to help the pasta not stick together.
Drain your pasta and place the pasta back in it's original pot. Turn the heat on low, drizzle in some olive oil, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and another sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Toss in spinach or kale (I had both so I used both) or cherry tomatoes or mushrooms...any veggie you have on hand that you want to add. Obviously veggies aren't a must. I think it gives the dish a nice bright color and makes your meal healthier.

Plating
My husband often works later hours so half the time I eat on my own while his waits patiently on the stove until he comes home. Whether John and I eat together, or not, I ALWAYS make sure to serve us or myself, prettily. Pretty plates, pretty glassware.....nice presentation. For me, it's important to treat yourself well. I like to surround myself with pretty things. It makes me happy, it lifts my spirits and it's visually appealing. I am also obsessed with housewares and decor so that could be another reason why I have multiple sets of dishes and like to change it up all the time. Currently, I am obsessed with this set  from Crate&Barrel and this is what's front runner in my kitchen right now. It was blush... I HAD to have it.

And there you have it. I curled up on my couch with my DVR and my blanket and went to town.
It was so delicious and filling, I ended up only eating half and taking the other half to work for lunch. It was just what my winter heart had been craving. Take THAT Friendly's!









Leave a Comment

  1. i love love love everything about this blog!!! im so excited to read more xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete